Skip Navigation

A student stands in front of a green background with clouds and a paper airplane flying

Set yourself apart and graduate faster. Earn credit for high school and college courses at the same time with Dual Enrollment at Motlow State. We specialize in making sure you get a great early college experience. Best of all, it is FREE if you qualify for a Dual Enrollment grant.

Dual Enrollment Grant Application

Why Choose Motlow?

Our friendly faculty and small class sizes are available close to home. Dual enrollment courses are taught at high schools and on Motlow campuses. And, Motlow offers a wide variety of class options. Check out our program finder

You could even graduate from high school and college at the same time. Contact your high school representative to find out how to become a dual enrollment student.

Apply to Motlow

Contact our dual enrollment office

Take a campus tour

Facts about MSCC


of students start with Dual Enrollment


of Motlow students are Dual Enrollment


in Dual Graduation

Years of Growth

Dual Enrollment Checklist 

Talk with your School Counselor to determine your eligibility and your high school scheduling. Note: If a student turns 18 years of age while taking classes, proof of citizenship will be required, and proof of draft registration will be required for all males.

Dual Enrollment Participation Requirements

  •  3.0 High School GPA (2.5 GPA for CTE courses, such as Mechatronics) and a 3.0 GPA in your high school classes in the subject area you wish to take collegiate classes, or ACT subscores of 18 English, 19 Reading, 19 Math
  • Homeschool students must have qualifying ACT scores.
  • Some high schools may have more stringent eligibility requirements

Complete your Dual Enrollment Application

  • Apply to Motlow
  • Make sure and choose Dual Enrollment – High School as the Application Type
  • When you have completed each section, make sure to click on Application is Complete and then I agree to the terms

High School Transcript

Official Version acceptable by mail or fax 931-668-2172 directly from the high school. You may also bring the transcript to the Dual Enrollment office in an envelope sealed by the school.

Test Scores

If you have taken the ACT or SAT, make sure the scores are sent to Motlow (they are often included on your high school transcript)

Consent Form

Consent form in MyMotlow.

TN Dual Enrollment Grant Application

The grant provided by the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation will currently provide one grant per semester for tuition for high school juniors and seniors enrolled in college credit courses.  It is the responsibility of the student to apply for this grant each year.  

  • Students who qualify for the Dual Enrollment Grant can receive five free classes
  • Students must maintain a 2.0 College GPA to receive the grant in future semesters
  • The deadline to apply for the Dual Enrollment Grant is June 30 for all semesters

Dual Enrollment vs. AP

Dual Enrollment

High schools partner with community colleges or local universities to offer college-level courses at the high school or online. Sometimes, students will take the courses at the college itself, with other college students. 

If you participate, you’ll be awarded a grade and may receive college credit, without needing to take a special exam (like in the AP program).

  • DE courses are college courses
  • One semester 
  • Tuition and Fees can be covered with TN Promise and the Dual Enrollment Grant
  • Graduate high school with a degree* 
  • No stress about final exam score, not a test-based program
  • Available at high school, college, or online
  • Take classes not available at high school
  • Guaranteed credit transfer to in-state institutions
  • Accumulate more college credit than AP


The College Board’s AP program includes courses across English, the arts, math, sciences, history, foreign languages, and other topics. Each year-long course mirrors a semester-long college class. 

  • AP courses are like a college course
  • One year
  • Must pay student exam fees
  • Get some college credit after your graduate high school
  • Earn college credit and placement with a successful exam score, (Exam score must be 3 or higher)
  • Only available at high school 
  • Top colleges generally don’t award credit, but some use AP scores for course placement purposes
  • Potential to earn credit, not a guarantee
Casey O'Neal Portrait

"I started college at Motlow’s McMinnville center as a dual enrollment student while in high school, but I eventually enrolled full-time in 2010 following my high school graduation. My Motlow experience helped shape what my future would become."

Dr. Casey O'NealPharmD

Scroll to top