- Responsible Officer: Executive Director of Financial Aid
- Responsible Executive: Executive Vice President for Business and Finance
The Institutional Review Panel (IRP) at Motlow State Community College (Motlow State) is organized to review appeals by students who have lost eligibility or are requesting a leave of absence for Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarships (TELS), TN Promise, and/or TN Reconnect.
The IRP reviews appeals/requests as needed during each fall, spring or summer semester when a student submits an appeal/request for TELS, and/or TN Promise or TN Reconnect. Appeals/requests must be resolved within three (3) business days following receipt to comply with the 14-day turnaround required by the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC)/Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC). Financial Aid office staff may not make decisions on appeals/leaves of absence (even approvals). All records of appeals/requests and determinations will be kept in the Financial Aid office.
The committee consists of the following members:
- Assistant Vice President for Business and Finance (Ex-officio – voting);
- Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee (Ex-officio – voting);
- TN Promise Director (Ex-officio – voting) or TN Reconnect Director (Ex-officio – voting); (Note: The TN Promise Director will review both TELS and Promise appeals – the TN Reconnect Director will review Reconnect appeals.)
- Assistant Director of Student Success (Ex-officio – voting); and
- Dean of Students (Ex-officio – voting).
Students are not allowed to serve on any Financial Aid appeals committees, in accordance with TSAC/THEC guidance.
Decisions will be determined by the majority of votes received at the end of the third (3rd) business day. Any decisions resulting in a tie or lack of votes will be determined to be denied and the student will have the option to appeal directly to TSAC/THEC.
The decision of the committee is final.
- Approved by the Leadership Council on November 24, 2015; effective date: December 1, 2015
- Revision: October 11, 2022
- Institutional Oversight Committee Approved: December 16, 2022
- President’s Cabinet Approved: January 9, 2023
- Effective Date: January 9, 2023