Skip Navigation

Tax Information for Students (1098-T)

Please Fill Out the 1098-T

You’ll need to report your annual tuition income using the IRS form, 1098-T. This form provides the total amount of payments posted to your student account. If you’re paying for college yourself, you may be eligible for a tax credit (See the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997).


Motlow releases 1098-T forms each year before January 31. Once the 1098-T data has been processed, the form information is available on your MyMotlow account.  For those students who have not consented to an electronic 1098-T form, the 1098-T is mailed to the student's permanent home address. 

Per IRS regulations, Motlow provides the total amount of payments posted to your account up to the total amount of qualified educational expenses billed for the tax year in Box 1. We report the total assistance received (financial aid, third party, etc.) for the tax year in Box 5.

You can access your account on MyMotlow or your personal receipts/documents for more information regarding the total amount paid and charged by the institution.

access the 1098-T form

  1. Log into your Motlow Hub account
  2. Click the MyMotlow button
  3. Locate Your Student tab
  4. Select Student Account from the menu
  5. Select Tax Year, enter a tax year, submit
  6. Select Tax Notification

You did not receive a 1098-T form

The IRS instructions state that educational institutions are not required to furnish 1098-T forms for:

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student
  • Students whose qualified educational expenses are entirely waived or paid with financial aid, scholarships or third party assistance

You may have not received a 1098-T form from Motlow if:

  • You consented to receive the form electronically
  • We have an incorrect permanent address on file
  • We do not have a Social Security Number on file

You would not receive a 1098-T form from Motlow for the current year if you did not make any payments for qualified educational expenses in the tax year.

For more information regarding the 1098-T form and the tax credits and deductions that may be available for higher education expenses, please visit the IRS website.

Scroll to top